Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stiff;; 3rd Chunk



In the last few chapters of Stiff, Roach continues to describe the ways humans can be used after they pass on by using, excerpts, quotes, facts, and rhetorical questions. The uses of human cadavars continue to grow, as Roach explores the past. Hot blood from a deceased gladiator was belived to be an elixer that could cure many diseases such as "ecezema, palsy and even vertigo."(224) While some of the past uses of cadavars as medicine are less that desireable to those in modern days, in the past these practices were popular and ever growing. Later Roach tells of an "enviromentaly friendly" way of using cadavars as compost. In the very last chapter of Stiff, the author roises the rhetorical question of What will happen to not only her, but us, when we pass on from this world.

Clarification:
On page 224 when Roach mentions the "Mummy Elixer", is she talking about the mellified mummies?

Application:
If it meant that you could possibly save a person's life, would you eat and drink nothing but hunny for the last month of your life and then mellify your body?

4 comments:

  1. Clarification:
    I kow this really doesn't really help you, but I was equally as confused. I didn't understand whether or not she was saying the "mummy elixer" was the mellified mummies.

    Application:
    I don't think I could do the honey thing. I understand that i would save a ife, but I honestly dont think I have enough willpower to follow through with it. I can help save lives in some other type of ways.
    : ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarification:
    I kind of thought thats what she was talking about but I wasnt sure because she never really made it clear =/


    Application:
    No I wouldn't, because I feel that we're all going to die one day. That would be pointless to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarification:
    I do believe that Roach was discussing the mummies, because I could not really fathom it to be anything else.

    Application:
    No, no, and of course no. It would be pointless and besides...honey or mickey dees..you pick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I was confused with this too, but at the same time, I think she was. Also she said that a mellified man was a cadaver put in honey, and when she talked abut the mummy elixir she said that the recipe used a cadaver and "spirit wine."
    2. No, I don't even like honey :P

    ReplyDelete